We are now accepting applications for the 2018 Manitoba Camera Trainee Program! Application Deadline is November 30th, 2017.
Local 669’s Camera Trainee Program is designed to provide participants with the skills and on set experience required to become a 2nd Assistant in the Camera Department. This program offers indispensable training, work techniques and habits with hands on experience on various camera systems, and enables participants to make invaluable contacts within the industry. Trainees get to work on active signatory productions with seasoned union members, and make connections that could potentially land them work in the future.
what is the camera trainee program?
The trainee program is designed to provide skills and on set experience that trains participants to ultimately become 2nd assistants in the Camera Department. The trainee phase of your career is important for learning indispensable work techniques and habits, camera systems, and making valuable contacts within the industry. The union members you work with during this training program may be ones that could hire you in the future! On average most of the camera trainees graduate from the program between 1 – 1.5 years, depending on the bouancy of the film market.
what are the requirements to apply?
Trainee program applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Possess a valid driver’s license and own/have access to a reliable vehicle at all times – no exceptions
- You must be legally entitled to work in Canada AND be a permanent resident within Western Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Yukon, North West Territories, and Nunavut)
- Minimum of 19 years of age
- All of the mandatory courses required to be on set as a trainee (proof of enrollment may be included)
- Completion of Grade 12 or GED equivalent
- Ideally 30 days On-Set Experience, paid or volunteer work (camera department experience ideal but not neccessary. Experience can be acquired on projects such as music videos, commercials, indie features, television series)
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and willingness to learn