280 artists back Albert Schultz’s accusers, ask Soulpepper board to acknowledge ‘harm’

Letter says artists were 'prepared to refuse to work' until Schultz gone after sexual misconduct accusations

0
Plaintiffs, from left, Diana Bentley, Hannah Miller, Kristin Booth and Patricia Fagan attend a press conference after filing lawsuits alleging sexual harassment by Soulpepper Theatre Company director Albert Schultz. (Christopher Katsarov/Canadian Press)

Some 280 artists are throwing their support behind the actresses accusing Albert Schultz of sexual misconduct, saying they believe there are “more stories like theirs that have not been told.”

Sarah Polley, Ann-Marie MacDonald and Soulpepper Theatre founding member Ted Dykstra are among 280 people who attached their names to an open letter sent to the company Monday.

FULL LIST OF SIGNATURES

The letter, titled “Harassment at Soulpepper Theatre Company,” says the artists say they were prepared to refuse to work with the company “as a sign of solidarity” with the four women alleging harassment by Schultz, its former artistic director, as long as he had some role with the company.

Last week, Diana Bentley, Kristin Booth, Patricia Fagan and Hannah Miller took aim at Schultz with four separate civil suits, claiming unwanted sexual touching, groping and harassment over a period spanning 13 years. The statements of claim also named Soulpepper Theatre among their respondents.

LEAVE A REPLY